Mr_Isp

CROSSPLAY NAME ISSUE.

Do you agree?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. The person that picked the name first should have priority over it

• Yes - I agree with this
    • No - I do not agree with this.

Hey Team and Community,

There is a massive issue for the upcoming update for both PlayStation and Xbox players in regards to the name changes.

On the 25th of February GM_Calpheon was in Xbox M1 server answering some questions and the name change was brought up.

I along with many others strongly feel like this is unnecessary and the easy route.

We were told this is to make it fair for both communities...

How is it fair that Xbox was exclusive and had access to the game first and people payed for the preorder JUST to reserve their name in-game.

I personally have followed BDO for years but never played on pc due to not owning one, BDO came to console and I was very excited...

I have used this name since I was 12years old and I'm now 29... I have played games such as RuneScape,World of Warcraft,Guild wars,Elder scrolls,EVE Online just to name a few MMORPGS, I have also used this name for tons of other things both gaming related and not.

Now because we are of Crossplay I could be lossing this name if someone takes it, because they like it, want it or just so I can't have it...

The only way for me to secure my name is to be the first online and redeem the name change first before someone else(this was stated by GM_Calpheon picture added),. I work 40hours a week and have a family so I can't get on just to secure a name that I already "own" in-game..

Personally I think it should be the person that made the name first should have priority over the other the other person....

Yes this does open the discussion of that not fair on PlayStation players... But that's not Xbox players fault due to they had exclusive access to the game.  Now that both consoles have access to the game and are merging together, it's the Xbox players that are suffering and losing out most.

A rework seriously needs to be talked about were the person that made the name first has priority,. This goes for all names... 

Character names. Family names. Guild names.

IMG_20200225_211247__01.jpg

IMG_20200225_211314__01.jpg

IMG_20200225_211424__01.jpg

Hello! Here is a friendly reply from an early access Playstation user. I cannot stress enough that all heck would break loose if all Playstation users were given the shaft with their names, especially those of us who paid for early access. Playstation players are not "new" or "incoming" players. We went through the exact same thing with our name as Xbox players did, only a few months later.

If all Xbox players got to keep their name and all Playstation players had to change, that would give the impression that Xbox players are more important and more valuable than PS players and that is not true. It's just luck of the draw you got the game a few months earlier. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY upset over the name change and I think PA should rethink this. I think names should be a combination of toon and family name some how. That would ensure A LOT more people will get to keep their identity.

Back to the topic at hand - I get it, you want your name. Most of us "paid" for our name and that puts us on equal ground. So my vote is a hard NO. Xbox players do not get first dibs.

• Like 1

@Elspeth

You state

"I am VERY upset over the name change and I think PA should rethink this."

I'm saying the player that made the name first should have the right to that name as a priority,. I've had my name from the first few minutes of the game going live on Xbox and now there is a chance that someone could take it because the server are merging

(Which I think is a fantastic thing to happen for the game and console communities)

The names should show as

(X1) - Mr_Isp

(PS) - Mr_Isp

So that the two can keep their name and also be distinguished from one another.

You're kind of saying 2 things. You said the player that made the name first gets priority for that name (which would be all Xbox players btw). Then you said it should show (X1) and (PS) so everyone can keep their name.

I agree with the 2nd one, unfortunately they said they cannot show "Playstation" (or any derivative) on Xbox and vice versa. 

I've also had my name from the first few minutes of the game as well. And now there is a chance of someone taking it. See, we're all in the same boat here. Personally instead of polling players to see which console can out vote the other, we should be banding together and demanding an alternative. 

On 2/25/2020 at 11:33 PM, Elspeth said:

You're kind of saying 2 things. You said the player that made the name first gets priority for that name (which would be all Xbox players btw). Then you said it should show (X1) and (PS) so everyone can keep their name.

I agree with the 2nd one, unfortunately they said they cannot show "Playstation" (or any derivative) on Xbox and vice versa. 

I've also had my name from the first few minutes of the game as well. And now there is a chance of someone taking it. See, we're all in the same boat here. Personally instead of polling players to see which console can out vote the other, we should be banding together and demanding an alternative. 

To get around trademarks and copyright infringement all you would have to do is make Dr_Death on Xbox appear with green text, and Dr_Death on PS appear in blue.

Problem solved, everyone keeps their name and it's clear who is who and on which console.

33 minutes ago, gilbertoconcerto said:

To get around trademarks and copyright infringement all you would have to do is make Dr_Death on Xbox appear with green text, and Dr_Death on PS appear in blue.

Problem solved, everyone keeps their name and it's clear who is who and on which console.

They can't have a cross play environment with colored names as both green and blue actively advertise both platforms. It was explained during one of the streams. 

I've suggested this in another thread, but I came up with what might be a workable alternative - something that:

1. Allows unique names in general - no more having to worry whether or not a name has been taken!
2. Doesn't require some drastic restructuring of the game's name database (which might have severe knock-on effects on other aspects of the game)
3. Doesn't mean that there's some obvious indicator of what platform someone is on (which is apparently not allowed)

What I'm thinking is this: in the same way that unlucky players have had the suffix "_BDC" added to their character/family names, just add similar suffixes to any/all characters, but  (and this is the crucial bit), add some kind of modifier to the <enter name here> (or whatever) field that makes the suffix invisible in-game! Something like <enter name here(this_part_invisible)>, if that makes sense.

So, if I called a character "Agnes", the game might add "_BDC" or "_123" or whatever - but then make that second part invisible, so that only the bit the player entered would show up in dialogue and menus.

After all, there's a whole lot of UI text that doesn't actually appear on-screen in most games (and software in general), so I don't see why Pearl Abyss couldn't do something similar to some kind of unique ID tag added to all names. That would mean that the database could work as it currently does, without any changes, all names would be stored as unique data with no duplicate entries, but the ID suffixes would mean that the player-entered portion could be whatever people wanted - because (for example) three different characters called "Agnes" would actually be called "Agnes_BDC1", "Agnes_BDC2" and "Agnes_BDC3" for database purposes.