EVRYTHG

I had the name first

Posted (edited)

20190212_175522.png

Edited by EVRYTHG
Couldn't add text. Someone got my family name, but I had the name before the game even came out for the other console.

The way it worked was the first person to get the name got it. I personally think this was the most fair way to go about it. Either way, I am sorry you lost your name. I wish everyone could have kept their names, but it just wasn't possible.

For example: 

Day on Xbox player chooses their name 36 minutes after the game launched.
Day on player on PS4 chose their name 35 minutes after the game launched. 

PS4 player receives the name. 

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. 

❤️ CM Valtarra

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, CM_Valtarra said:

I wish everyone could have kept their names, but it just wasn't possible.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. 

Sorry to jump into another person's thread - figured it better than creating a duplicate thread on the topic (if you'd rather, I can start a new one, though!).

What I'd like to know is, why isn't it possible? I get that reworking the entire database from the ground up is the sort of thing that could mess up countless other things in the game, but surely there are UI-level changes that wouldn't require a fundamental change to how the name database works.

For instance, if it's possible to look at two identical names, and automatically add the suffix "_BDC" to the name of whichever character was created second (or which is on an account deemed 'inactive'), then it's entirely possible to auto-add suffixes to character names.

If that's true, then how possible is it to add some kind of UI modifier that makes said suffixes invisible in-game? In other words, a player could call their character "Bob", the game would add the suffix "_123" (but with a modifier that keeps the "_123" part hidden in in-game text/menus), it'd be stored in the database as "Bob_123", but all you'd see in dialogue and on any menu would be "Bob" - i.e., the bit that the player inputs is the bit that stays visible, and anything automatically added afterwards would be hidden from view (somehow).

Heck, the benefit of such a fix would be that not only would it 100% solve the problem of players losing their character/family names after the crossplay update, but it'd mean that from that point on, anyone trying to use a name already in use would just get an invisible suffix added, and they could then use that name with no issue. Even before the crossplay merger screwed up some players' names, it was hard enough finding names that weren't in use - so fixing the game with something like what I've suggested would have a huge positive impact on the game.

Hiding part of name would complicate some things like a search player function.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Doktar said:

Hiding part of name would complicate some things like a search player function.

Except it wouldn't - not really - for several reasons:

1. If you only search for the visible bit, and the search allows for partial matches, then searching for a character called "Doris" works fine, regardless of whether the character is called "Doris", or technically has "Doris_1234" as the full version.

2. If searches only apply to the visible bit, then that's a non-issue.

3. If you're searching for specific players, and not characters, then you're better off searching by unique Gamertag or PSN ID, rather than character/family name, anyway.

4. Even assuming that it would, Pearl Abyss could just make the hidden suffix a thing like "_Gamertag" or "_PSN" - and that way, you're searching for a character on an account, specifically.

So if my Gamertag was USSExcelsior, and my character was called "Doris", then "Doris_USSExcelsior", or similar. Seems simple enough - I've seen other MMOs (Star Trek Online, for example) handle character names like that for things like chat and search functions, and it works just fine.