ChrS

Is the Shai a finished class?

Created a Shai, just got awakening and have been reading a lot of stuff on the PC forum, it just seems like an unfinished class, no absolutes, no rabams (I know their on test server) no planned succession, can't max all of the 'talents'.  100s of unused skill points.

What is the thought process with this class?  I am really enjoying her she needs more meat within her skill set.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, ChrS said:

Created a Shai, just got awakening and have been reading a lot of stuff on the PC forum, it just seems like an unfinished class, no absolutes, no rabams (I know their on test server) no planned succession, can't max all of the 'talents'.  100s of unused skill points.

What is the thought process with this class?  I am really enjoying her she needs more meat within her skill set.

She's a support class, very limited. She won't be like the rest of classes in many aspects. 

On 4/22/2020 at 6:03 AM, ChrS said:

The Shai's original design philosophy was to try something new and with that came many different things, Some of the things were already patched and improved before console (for example upon initial release Shai's could only Ride Donkey's / hence the Donkey Skills.) The Delay in Rabams from what I understand is they even wanted to implement a custom Rabam questline to unlock the skills. Shai has been at the center of a unique design class from the beginning and as a result I personally from the historically slow and methodical approach they've taken with the class itself is they want to create something unique in short please be patient!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Shai has to be full dp (since time to kill is so low in this game) just to offer her support as the range on her support abilities are tiny and they don't last long enough so you have to always put yourself in harms way.

Then, to compound things, her songs are interruptible by just about everything but a light breeze (archrs/rangers love that one). It takes what seems like ages to "cast" the ability too so there's a big window to be interrupted. Even better, they have no protections on any of them apart from the debuff I think.

Oh, now you're getting attacked? Great! Now it'll take you seconds just to switch back to florang (if you manage to get back up off your ass and out of the way before getting cced again, and again, and again) just to have access to your dash/florang combo and your one rubbish frontal block.

inb4 "shais oped as dp" Yeah, and I suppose there aren't other classes that can't go dp and are a lot more threatening and hardy, huh? Only reason you don't see many of them is because everyone is obsessed with big damage.

The class is unfinished. It's incredibly annoying. The only reason I don't kick her to the curb is the bongo stun, and even that is negated by half the classes iframing/SAing in and grabbing you, or nuking you like the wiz/witch.

Edited by Zerkdumb

On 4/23/2020 at 1:46 PM, Foil Ornithopter said:

The Shai's original design philosophy was to try something new and with that came many different things, Some of the things were already patched and improved before console (for example upon initial release Shai's could only Ride Donkey's / hence the Donkey Skills.) The Delay in Rabams from what I understand is they even wanted to implement a custom Rabam questline to unlock the skills. Shai has been at the center of a unique design class from the beginning and as a result I personally from the historically slow and methodical approach they've taken with the class itself is they want to create something unique in short please be patient!

I don't waiting as long as I know something is coming, actually just got my Kzarka to TRI so I am slightly dedicated!  the quest line has been really good, there is no doubt about that.

I for one main shai only! I think she has alot of potential if you know all her combos, moves, and cooldown times to a T.. however, I seriously think they should remove her PVP debuff cause like Zerkdumb stated, and it's so so true, shes way, WAY slow at everything! Timing has to be near perfect to be competent at PVP.

Hiding and ambushes/flanks can throw your enemy off but you still need to run cause you cant switch back and forth to protecc/attacc fast enough. 

From what I've seen a out rabam skills and what's coming after that I'd stick with her if you're even slightly curious. On the test labs she look like a much much more "complete" class. Just dont sell your florang lol save em 

• Like 1

Shai at the time of writing, to play it in PVP requires Timing to be near perfect, and for knowledge of both your opponent's class, and potential use of skills, and more like than not you are going to need to accessory sets to PVP and PVE, if you want to Main a Shai.

(I've been theory crafting in the gear calculator this may not be the case at incredibly high Gear Scores but these are me numbering crunching with items that PC NA BDO doesn't have let alone Console PS4. Mind you this is Theorycrafting at things beyond PEN at C10+ Caphras other crystal options and slots might be open and different items.)

Personally while I cannot speak for the Dev's themselves I think they took a very cautious route to creating the class because of how fundamentally different the class is and the design approach they took to it, (not that long ago there was a way team of Shai's could single Win a Siege war in their favor... this was nerfed.) which is why you see the the current design choices.

Shai is the "Special" Class and has been getting different treatment than other classes between things like the Shai Donkey, The Shai Music writing interface etc. (our talent weapon and not having to Grind for a Dandelion Box etc.)  we've been getting plenty of unique things, it should also be noted compared the class on PC itself has been on PC NA since only June 26th 2019, Compared to the Release of BDO on PC NA of 2016.

In that time frame there were patches and fixes and adjustments that most PS4 players are unaware of (upon initial release of the Shai it could ONLY ride Donkeys an update patch that allowed them to ride horses was added later.) and there will be along with other classes patches and adjustments to the class.