Rokal

Just want to be clear on PvP

Hail and well met, all,

I just want to be clear on something regarding PvP.

I have ZERO desire to PvP... so, go ahead... get it out of your systems:  "You're wuss, you're a coward, you're lame, you're a care bear, etc etc etc."  There... feel better now? LOL

If I'm understanding some videos correctly, in order to reach Lv 50, where I can be PvP'd at will, (the will of others, not mine), I have to complete a specific quest... otherwise I stay Lv 49.9999 forever, and untouchable by other players?

Is this correct?

If so, I believe the only sacrifice I'm really making is not Awakening, which I believe you have to be Lv 56 for?

Considering I don't like any of the changes for the classes that I like when Awakening... can't say I'm overly concerned about that.

I just want to play, explore a world, make friends, craft/Life Skill, relax after a long day at work, and not be bothered/griefed by acne riddled, momma's basement dwellers, trying to make up for having their milk money stolen every day.

NOTE: I am not... ABSOLUTELY NOT... saying this is all PvP'ers, (it's not even most) ... I'm saying it's all Gankers/Griefers... there is a difference.

So, is not completing this quest a "Get out of PvP Griefer Hell" card?

Thanks for your insight to this.

Hi Rokal, you are right you can stay Lv 49.99% forever and dont unlock open world pvp. That means you CAN play your game and dont worry about griefers that dont have anything better to do with their lives. BUT...

You can also create an character to do PvE, get its awakening and be happy, and then create another character for commerce(or gathering, processing, training etc ...) and dont level this one past lv 49.99% (dont do the black spirit quest). 

• Like 1

Thank you for confirming that.

The problem with your suggestion regarding taking a character to Awakening... then that character becomes subject to PK griefing... at which point the character would be shelved anyway.

I have very little time to play video games, (which is frankly why I'll get MONTHS out of the game before this even becomes an issue, no matter how fast the leveling speed is), so when i do I don't want to spend it being serial killed by gankers with self esteem issues, (again, to be clear, I am NOT saying this is all, or even most, PvP'ers).  And yes, 100% YES, this has been my experience in EVERY... SINGLE... GAME that has open world/non-consensual PvP.

I think I'll be happy playing to Lv 49, on multiple characters, and doing what I can do... and when/if the fun wears off, I'll move to another game, and likely circle back to BDO at some point, LOL.

Either way, I plan to enjoy the snot out of this game, LOL.

• Like 1

Sadly, this will be a deal breaker for me. I've considered buying the game but changed my mind when I found out that after a certain level as you said (49), we are forced to play a game mode we don't like. Me and many others only want the PVE aspect, lots of people in other MMOs told me they hate PVP and only play the PVE part. I've read an interesting article about this subject, it seems this is a dirty commercial tactic, which I dislike, trying to make people spend money out of frustration after being PKd many times.

• Haha 1

Hey guys, dont take the PvP thing too Hard. 

Since lvl 50 you can open PK and be PKed, ok, but that doesnt means that you'll be killed every time.

There is Karma Points to ensure that no ones will kill you all day long. I think you can kill 2 or 3 times someone before you got Red Flag, where you lose exp and item upgrade when killed, so it isnt a good deal to go out killing everybody, specially if they dont make any bad to you.

Usually, the "street pk" happens in high contested mob areas where high lvls farm, those place are sausans, desert, kamasylvia and pirates. If you're a casual player and like to PvE only, maybe you'll never cross way with those guys.

Oh, and if you're in a Guild that opens war with another guild, its open pvp for everybody that doent lose karma, so you can kill any member fron the enemy guild how maby times you want...BUT the guild leader can flag (I think its max 10 members) as "Protected" so they cant kill not be killed, so you're always safe!

Enjoy the game! Its a pvp game, of course, but only for high lvl...there is no point in killing low levels, its an useless use of karma :P

Have fun!

• Like 3

I also detest PVP for many of the same reasons.  I've played this game on the PC and you def want to get to 56+.  The entire game changes at awakened...not to mention that the skills and devastation are WAY cooler.  I would add that I had a 58 on the PC and maybe once or twice had a problem with PVP.  Mainly over a popular grinding spot.  What I found is that most people just want to do their thing.  Maybe this will be different on the XB1...maybe not.  But I wouldn't let it stop you.  Getting to 56 anyway takes quite a bit of grinding as the leveling REALLY slows down after 50.  Get in a guild and use safety in numbers when grinding.

But I agree, every game I've played since UO people grief.  They use the system and it seems their entire purpose is just to annoy you.  It's too bad that these few people ruin it for everyone.

• Haha 1

From my time on PC I've been over 50 for over a few months and never been ganked. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edited by Wiitchcraft
  • Like 1

Instead of pvping you could just set up a empire of cash flow and rule the market place with gear you grinded for. Everyone has their place in this game.

• Like 2

The open world pvp aspect isnt like in wow. Also u cant stay at 49.999%. If u gather craft or fish u will gain xp each time bumpin u up with xp. 

But like with the pc killin folks and gettin negative karma puts the pkers gems at risk and some of those r really expensive so it wont be as widely done as u think it will. They also dont gain ne thing by killin u which also deters people from attCkin randos for the hell of it. On the pc i get ganked every once in a while when afk fishin in a non safe zone but typically people dont break their rotations to attack someone they dont gain ne thing from so i wouldnt worry as much as u r now. Check out the pc version if u can to get an idea of how little pks happen.

Just to relate to this issue.

I had similar concerns before I started playing on PC, I wasn't particularly interested in PvP and read about after hitting 50 you can PvP'd by other players.

I played anyway and let me tell you, its not like you think.

People need to activate PvP mode in order to attack you and if they kill you they lose karma. If they lose too much karma, they can go negative and their gear can downgrade or they can lose crystals from their gear if they are killed.

99% of this happens on the top grind spots, since there are only so many rotations within the grind spots, players will sometimes flag and try to kill you to either protect their spot, or to try to take yours. A lot of the time though people will come, see that you are there and maybe ask you for a duel and the winner takes the spot, or maybe they just see its taken and switch channel. If they just keep killing you, switch to another character and do some lifeskilling for  while and go back to that character later.

This is a PvP game, and yes people do grief from time to time, that happens in all games. But you can avoid most of the PvP if you settle for less popular spots, or a less popular rotation within a popular spot. You can also try to just grind at times when its not so busy, mornings and late at night most spots are empty, and at peak times you can gather, cook, alchemy, complete some story missions, theres tonnes of other stuff to do other that grinding.

Anyway my point is, don't let the PvP thing put you off this game, its not as you think and can be avoided. And you may in turn end up liking the PvP side of the game as I did.

If you want to avoid pvp 100% of the time yeah level 49.999 is your only option. If your willing to accept getting ganked on a rare occasion you can simply avoid the top grinding spots and try not to grind to close to others. If your grinding in less popular spots your much less likely to get ganked as long as your not killing mobs in someone else's rotation (rotation in bdo is a circular path someone runs so that by the time they kill the last mob in the path and reach the start the first mobs have respawned) I haven't played vanilla bdo endgame in quite a long time so I can't remember what all the contested spots are but 1 for sure will be ogres. IF YOU WANT TO AVOID PVP STAY AWAY FROM OGRES! Killing ogres will ensure pvp as they drop the most valuable item in the game.

19 minutes ago, Vordred said:

i thought PVP was a toggle, so if you don't want to PVP, just don't turn it on, rather than not level your character.

if your past level 50 anyone can attack you. What toggling does is makes your attacks hit other players instead of just mobs and allows others to attack you without a karma penalty 

No one PKs unless it's over a grinding spot.  I have hundreds of hours in the PC version and I've only had to fight three times, each time over a grind spot. You'll be able to explore more and better if you level. There's no reason to kill someone who is just walking around gathering or whatever. Trust me, it basically never happens. Also as numnutz said you can't avoid leveling up anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm also of 0% interest to PvP for this game...

Good replies, and even tho I own this on PC I never went high enough for it to matter.   

Guess we will see what is what ...when a release date is announced but gaaah I can see me loving the first part and hating the further.  I suspected there's another meaningful purpose of going above 49.99999 for PvE but if not, seems pretty simple what I'll not be doing.

Me and my crew are hoping to level up and become as strong as possible ASAP, so we can hunt down PKers.

You dont have to actively/willfully pvp, but prepare for pvp and those situations.

If you just want to pve then get in the way of someone grinding, your probably gonna get flagged on if you dont leave.

1 hour ago, NewBlacksmurf said:

I'm also of 0% interest to PvP for this game...

Good replies, and even tho I own this on PC I never went high enough for it to matter.   

Guess we will see what is what ...when a release date is announced but gaaah I can see me loving the first part and hating the further.  I suspected there's another meaningful purpose of going above 49.99999 for PvE but if not, seems pretty simple what I'll not be doing.

well like we already said theres no way for u to avoid goin above 49.999%. the only option is to constantly delete ur char and start over or just stop playin. everything gains u xp so i cant do life skillin without gainin xp. u might wanna stick with not playin this game at all if ur not gonna progress past 49.999%. u cant farm in higher lvl locations unless u progress and upgrade gear so if ur gonna follow this mindset rigidly then just dont get the game at all  because it deff wont work for u lol.

21 hours ago, Rokal said:

Hail and well met, all,

I just want to be clear on something regarding PvP.

I have ZERO desire to PvP... so, go ahead... get it out of your systems:  "You're wuss, you're a coward, you're lame, you're a care bear, etc etc etc."  There... feel better now? LOL

If I'm understanding some videos correctly, in order to reach Lv 50, where I can be PvP'd at will, (the will of others, not mine), I have to complete a specific quest... otherwise I stay Lv 49.9999 forever, and untouchable by other players?

Is this correct?

If so, I believe the only sacrifice I'm really making is not Awakening, which I believe you have to be Lv 56 for?

Considering I don't like any of the changes for the classes that I like when Awakening... can't say I'm overly concerned about that.

I just want to play, explore a world, make friends, craft/Life Skill, relax after a long day at work, and not be bothered/griefed by acne riddled, momma's basement dwellers, trying to make up for having their milk money stolen every day.

NOTE: I am not... ABSOLUTELY NOT... saying this is all PvP'ers, (it's not even most) ... I'm saying it's all Gankers/Griefers... there is a difference.

So, is not completing this quest a "Get out of PvP Griefer Hell" card?

Thanks for your insight to this.

unfortunately sometimes the mechanics of PvP are unavoidable.  I've played many pvp games and you should not fret.  Join a LARGE clan, the largest.  Then go deep into there territory and live relatively free forever.  Its not to bad in this game because the death penalty is really nothing at all.  

1 hour ago, numnutz2005 said:

well like we already said theres no way for u to avoid goin above 49.999%. the only option is to constantly delete ur char and start over or just stop playin. everything gains u xp so i cant do life skillin without gainin xp. u might wanna stick with not playin this game at all if ur not gonna progress past 49.999%. u cant farm in higher lvl locations unless u progress and upgrade gear so if ur gonna follow this mindset rigidly then just dont get the game at all  because it deff wont work for u lol.

Thing is I already have the game for PC so I took that approach and stopped playing years back. (Shrug) seems like an opportunity so I gave some of this as feedback on the new survey 

2 minutes ago, HunterX said:

https://www.xbox.playblackdesert.com/News/Detail?boardNo=39&category=0

It's been explained how pvp will work, you can switch on/off on and after level 50, but if you leave it on, the penalty can be so bad not to be worth it unless you are quitting the game,  plus you can switch server otherwise just leave pvp off after level 49.

u dont need to turn on pvp to be killed by another player. turnin it on or off is for the person doin the killin not the one gettin killed. if ur not in a safe zone they can kill u.

9 hours ago, numnutz2005 said:

The open world pvp aspect isnt like in wow. Also u cant stay at 49.999%. If u gather craft or fish u will gain xp each time bumpin u up with xp. 

But like with the pc killin folks and gettin negative karma puts the pkers gems at risk and some of those r really expensive so it wont be as widely done as u think it will. They also dont gain ne thing by killin u which also deters people from attCkin randos for the hell of it. On the pc i get ganked every once in a while when afk fishin in a non safe zone but typically people dont break their rotations to attack someone they dont gain ne thing from so i wouldnt worry as much as u r now. Check out the pc version if u can to get an idea of how little pks happen.

Actually you have to complete a quest to get past 49 lol

1 minute ago, Beond said:

Actually you have to complete a quest to get past 49 lol

so he doesnt wanna do ne of the quests or game content?? is there a point in buyin the game if thats the case?

As long as you don’t grind in main spots or start killing someone’s spot then you should be fine just don’t make enemies 

1 minute ago, numnutz2005 said:

so he doesnt wanna do ne of the quests or game content?? is there a point in buyin the game if thats the case?

I’m not saying that I’m just saying you can be 49 forever it caps you no matter how much xp you get, he should be fine 90% of the time but some people will just attack people on site