Rokal

Just want to be clear on PvP

13 minutes ago, numnutz2005 said:

so he doesnt wanna do ne of the quests or game content?? is there a point in buyin the game if thats the case?

The end game is pvp centric. You dont have a choice. If your out and somebody wants to attack you they can. 

One thing i seen in the beta is that one group of people asked another if they wanted to grind together. In actuality most of the time (imo) late game you will have to fight for that spot.

During beta people would come and mess up rotations while i was grinding. That's not flying if I can get rid of you.

4 hours ago, Azuki said:

The end game is pvp centric. You dont have a choice. If your out and somebody wants to attack you they can. 

One thing i seen in the beta is that one group of people asked another if they wanted to grind together. In actuality most of the time (imo) late game you will have to fight for that spot.

During beta people would come and mess up rotations while i was grinding. That's not flying if I can get rid of you.

Yup. But the amount of times that u will get ganked is minimal. There r also many servers available so people that want to run from that stuff can change to another one and continue grindin in that spot. Either way pvp isnt a reason to give up on all of the other game stuff. They r obvi able to choose that but thats y i said if u plan on not playin the game and gettin to the end of the story is it really worth payin for the game?? Its their money but in my experience no one wants to actively pay for somethin they go into expectin not to finish or experience. I was pointin out both sides of the coin not just the negative one hes concerned anout ya know??

4 hours ago, numnutz2005 said:

I was pointin out both sides of the coin not just the negative one hes concerned anout ya know??

I understand. I just dont want people to get the wrong idea about certain mechanics. Theres plenty of other stuff to do, but i would at least stay prepared.

Hail and well met, all,

sorry I stepped away from this for a couple of days.

So, please allow me to clarify/answer some points that were brought up.

I'm certainly confused as to who is correct regarding reaching Lv 50+.

Those who agree with the video I watched stating you have to do a specific quest or you'll stay Lv 49.999 forever, and those who say that's not possible as even Life Skilling will grant you experience that will cause you to hit 50+.

My guess is that the stuck at 49.99 is correct and that Life Skilling, or anything that grants XP will simply cause those .999 to keep extending out... so... Lv 49.999999999999999...

As for why I'd buy the game if I were just going to stick to the sub 50 game to avoid getting PK'd ad naseum...

I liken it to any single player game really.  I'll pay X amount of money to buy the game, play it for days/weeks/months, enjoy my time in it, and move on, having considered the small amount of money spent to get the game as well worth it for the entertainment I'd gotten.

I probably own, between Xbox1/PS4/PC well over 200 games... I don't think I've ever actually finished one, LOL.

I've played almost every MMO that's come out since Ultima Online, and the only game I ever reached Lv cap was DAoC and that took me years, no lie... YEARS.  I only reached cap cause they haven't raised it. 

I was actually at cap in EQ2; Lv 70, for a whopping TWO days before an expansion came out and raised the cap :)

Anyway, based on what I'm reading, maybe the concern over constant PK'ing isn't relevant to BDO; which would be nice if true.

By the time I reach Lv 49, the game will have been out long enough on Xbox for their to be plenty of "data" on the PK state of the game.

If it's much as described by those in this post on the PC... I won't be too concerned and I'll level and take my chances.

However, PC, Xbox, and PS communities are different and it's entirely possible that the Xbox community could be more toxic and be rampant PK'ers.  <shrugs> We'll see.  

As I said before, either way, I'll enjoy my time in the game until I'm not... then move on.  Hopefully I'll make some friends, have some good conversations, some funny "It's only blue con to me, how tough could it be?" moments, etc.

Thanks for all the insight.  Looking forward to meeting folks in the game.

Take care,

Rokal, nOoB Extraordinaire
Proud Member of... Nuttin' Yet...

• Like 1

This is mainly a PVP game. It wont be for all, you can avoid some PvP by staying perma protected in a guild. BUT NEVER EVER think the karma will protect you. strong players will go red for excitement and because they just know you cant kill them. Also, many who enjoy killing people have alternate accounts and characters to keep from going red.. THIS ALL BEING SAID..

If your not in a well known guild, and simply leave the area when asked.. you wont encounter forced PvP too much.. at most youll be killed once (that has no effect on you) and then respawn in which you can change servers or areas.. As long as you go on your way you wont have too many issues. I know lifeskillers that play and only enjoy that aspect. They simply leave when asked or see someone flag up. They hardly get bothered. Most people just PvP to own the spot or for the thrill of it.. If you simply leave and dont talk trash in chat about it they wont care to fight you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rokal said:

Hail and well met, all,

Those who agree with the video I watched stating you have to do a specific quest or you'll stay Lv 49.999 forever, and those who say that's not possible as even Life Skilling will grant you experience that will cause you to hit 50+.

My guess is that the stuck at 49.99 is correct and that Life Skilling, or anything that grants XP will simply cause those .999 to keep extending out... so... Lv 49.999999999999999...

As for why I'd buy the game if I were just going to stick to the sub 50 game to avoid getting PK'd ad naseum...

I liken it to any single player game really.  I'll pay X amount of money to buy the game, play it for days/weeks/months, enjoy my time in it, and move on, having considered the small amount of money spent to get the game as well worth it for the entertainment I'd gotten.

I probably own, between Xbox1/PS4/PC well over 200 games... I don't think I've ever actually finished one, LOL.

I've played almost every MMO that's come out since Ultima Online, and the only game I ever reached Lv cap was DAoC and that took me years, no lie... YEARS.  I only reached cap cause they haven't raised it. 

I was actually at cap in EQ2; Lv 70, for a whopping TWO days before an expansion came out and raised the cap :)

Anyway, based on what I'm reading, maybe the concern over constant PK'ing isn't relevant to BDO; which would be nice if true.

By the time I reach Lv 49, the game will have been out long enough on Xbox for their to be plenty of "data" on the PK state of the game.

If it's much as described by those in this post on the PC... I won't be too concerned and I'll level and take my chances.

However, PC, Xbox, and PS communities are different and it's entirely possible that the Xbox community could be more toxic and be rampant PK'ers.  <shrugs> We'll see.  

As I said before, either way, I'll enjoy my time in the game until I'm not... then move on.  Hopefully I'll make some friends, have some good conversations, some funny "It's only blue con to me, how tough could it be?" moments, etc.

Take care,

There is a quest requiring you to complete it before you gain any level above 49.99. you can TRY to earn additional XP but it will not be given. No matter the source you cannot earn anymore until you complete the quest. Your locked until finishing it. See my post above, PvP can be avoided easily, by understanding you cannot grind, gather, quest, or even be near a spot another player wants if you dont want to fight. So as long as you dont mind leaving, or asking the player if its okay to be ther you wont have an issue. The amount of players that shoot on sight is usually low no matter the platform. They want to save that karma for someone who wont leave or wants to compete against them or a rival guild. But if it does happen, just leave the area or server and you shouldnt have an issue. Just dont think because "your there first" or "just trying to finish a quest" mean your entitled to that spot. In BDO, most things are geared towards PvP and in BDO you fight for your area.

29 minutes ago, Rokal said:

Hail and well met, all,

Take care,

You sound like a pretty casual player and there are plenty of ways to enjoy BDO casually but...

Black Desert is all about progression, there is no lvl cap and later levels at 62+ take months of grinding.

Everything you do in Black Desert is geared toward earning silver and investing that silver into upgrading your gear, the better gear you have the better spots you can grind and defend, and thus earn more silver per hour. The more silver you earn, the more chances you have to upgrade your gear.

The fact that you have played so many MMo's and not reached lvl cap in almost all of them kinda suggests that your not really into grinding, and you also want to avoid PvP at all costs so maybe this game might not be suited to your tastes.

Black Desert is a marathon not a sprint.

If you want to have a competitive character it requires significant time investment, long grinding sessions, and PvP.

If you want to just spend an hour or 2 here and there and just enjoy the game, explore, gather, cook thats perfectly fine and you will have an awesome time doing that but at the end of the day, what is the point of earning silver in this game and upgrading your gear if you dont plan on progressing your character, doing any PvP, or taking part in node wars and sieges.

PvP is the end game in BDO.

Thank you both very much for the new replies.

"Fight for your spot." ... I'm 100% ok with this to be honest.  I don't hate PvP in and of itself, it's griefer/gankers I hate and games whose mechanisms allow that, with no way out.

Sounds to me though like there is a way out; get PK'd, move to another instance/server.  Works for me.

I played a mobile MMO, Order & Chaos, that forced PvP on you in certain zones and you HAD to go to those zones to level... no way out or around it.  I spent 3 days getting farmed by the same Dbag and ended up quitting that game.  I, like many players I suspect, tend to play at the same times during the week, so I was in this zone the same time each day.  Each day he specifically, cause he said so, hunted me down just because he could.  He was max level, I was Lv 22, (out of 50).  THIS is the type of player/play style I detest.

Sounds like this isn't rampant in BDO, (the point Makeemrage makes regarding saving Karma for those who really deserve the PK makes a ton of sense), and that at least I have the out of changing instances/servers.

So, I'll just play and do my thing, and hopefully getting PK'd won't be the norm.  If it happens here and there, I don't mind that... it's getting farmed just to be a Dbag that I hate.

Very much looking forward to this game.

Thanks again.

Take care,

Rokal, NoOb Extraordinaire

Proud Member of... Nuttin' Yet

Edited by Rokal
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Vampiryn said:

Grind while you can. It's goin to take awhile for players to be competent in PvP. Gear wise.

this is true! lol should be plenty of time just to run or hit emergency escape and go else where since damage will be so low lol

On 11/14/2018 at 8:34 AM, Rokal said:

Thank you both very much for the new replies.

"Fight for your spot." ... I'm 100% ok with this to be honest.  I don't hate PvP in and of itself, it's griefer/gankers I hate and games whose mechanisms allow that, with no way out.

Sounds to me though like there is a way out; get PK'd, move to another instance/server.  Works for me.

I played a mobile MMO, Order & Chaos, that forced PvP on you in certain zones and you HAD to go to those zones to level... no way out or around it.  I spent 3 days getting farmed by the same Dbag and ended up quitting that game.  I, like many players I suspect, tend to play at the same times during the week, so I was in this zone the same time each day.  Each day he specifically, cause he said so, hunted me down just because he could.  He was max level, I was Lv 22, (out of 50).  THIS is the type of player/play style I detest.

Sounds like this isn't rampant in BDO, (the point Makeemrage makes regarding saving Karma for those who really deserve the PK makes a ton of sense), and that at least I have the out of changing instances/servers.

So, I'll just play and do my thing, and hopefully getting PK'd won't be the norm.  If it happens here and there, I don't mind that... it's getting farmed just to be a Dbag that I hate.

Very much looking forward to this game.

Thanks again.

Take care,

Rokal, NoOb Extraordinaire

Proud Member of... Nuttin' Yet

So yes once you hit 49.99999% your little black spirit buddy with constantly flash saying you cant gain exp until you complete x quest over and over and over again. IF you choose not to do it even with lifeskilling you will still never hit 50. If by for some unknown reason you'd like to level strictly from life skilling (Its a very long process) but you are able to. Most pvp is as others have stated "duel for spot" which if you win you stay (or end up getting ganked which just switch channels and go about yo buiss) or lose and switch anyways. Speaking honestly the only time the whole switch can get annoying is if youre on a main rotation and the one you just switched to like 5 mins ago another person comes up and be like eh u duel 4 spt? -.- at that point youll have to wait an additional 15mins to switch channels. Once the hype dies down you shouldnt get the waiting on channels much as the channels will be more spread some player base dies etc. Other than that I wouldn't honestly worry to much about it. Even the ones who gank just to gank cause we get bored, will still get bored after killing you a few times and just go on our ways anyway. Another note to take into affect is if they impliment the BA (battle arena) that will then reduce a lot of the open world pking aside from the spot duels as anyone can jump in there and pvp without any pk penalties and dura and what not. Also a lot of people will be spamming the actual red battle which is a team deathmatch with bounty system(pretty interesting concept honestly). There's also open world Bounties. SOOOOOOO say you get super frustrated you're able to place a bounty on x griefer and bounty hunters will go kill the person as well lol. I've played BDO on pc since OB times so ive been around for a bit. But as you said 2 different communities. So what you do with the information you've been provided is on you buddy. Also you can always shoot me a message and ill come kill anyone that mess's with you if you'd like. Wouldn't be troubling me at all. But I will say you'll probably spend more than just a few months of casual on this game lol. If you have any questions just let me know!