Jump to content
ALM16HTY

PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LEVEL CAP IN AT LAUNCH

Recommended Posts

After reading through posts in the Reddit AMA I came across a response from Simon about the level cap at launch:

“50 will be the level cap at launch, but it will increase relatively quickly”
This is alarming to myself and many others that I plan to play with. So, I wanted to make a post about why a level cap of 50 at launch is a very bad idea. Even if that cap only exists for a couple days.

Abilities you can’t get at level 50
Warrior:
- ultimate ground smash (55 req)
- Double Dash (53 req)

Zerker:
- Extreme: beastly wind slash (55 req)
- Ultimate: Fierce Strike (52 req)
- Lava Piercer III (54 req)

Witch/Wiz:
- Teleport III (51 req)
- Ultimate: Blizzard (52 req)
- Earthquake IV (52 req)
- Protect Area V (54 req)

Sorc:
- Eruption of Guild (54 req)
- Sinister Energy V (53 req)
- Claws of Darkness IV (55 req)
- Storming Crow II (52 req)

Ranger:
- Ultimate: Razor Wind (53 req)
- Ultimate: Tearing Arrow (55 req)
- Descending Current V (52 req)
- Ultimate: Descending Current (53 req)

Why it would be bad for XP to be capped at 50:
Skills-
Not all abilities mentioned above are used by classes but some are crucial to class playability. If XP is capped at 50, even if it only lasts until early access is over, playing some of the classes will feel bad since they don’t have access to their full toolkit. Being able to work toward those stronger abilities or that increased mobility skill is why people grind that XP. Without that incentive, people simply won’t want to grind
Money-
One argument that someone would still grind even though XP is capped at level 50 is that grinding will earn you money. The problem with this argument is that, at level 50, your character is inherently weaker than it needs to be to grind some of the stronger monsters in the game. These monsters are the ones that earn you the most money. You may be able to kill them eventually but it will be difficult and take a very long time. As a result, you’ll just be trudging through content that is much more difficult than it needs to be. So, you can go grind the weaker monsters right? Sure, but you’ll be making very little money. Not many monsters in the early part of the game drop valuable items and the turn ins that they drop are not worth much money. So, you wouldn’t be making any more silver grinding low level monsters fast than you would if you were grinding high level monsters slowly.
Skill Points-
Another argument that you could still grind with XP capped at level 50 is that you could still earn skill points for your abilities. This is easy, you’re stuck at level 50. You can’t learn those abilities. But, you will have the skill points ready when the abilities are unlocked. Sure, but now you spent hours grinding monsters that gave you almost no reward just so you can hold the skill points for a later date. Is that really good/fun gameplay or game design?
Gear Upgrades-
I separated this from the money portion because I think it belongs in its own section. Gear is the king of BDO and someone arguing that grinding for the sake of getting gear is a good argument. You can still grind monsters that drop relic shards that will allow you to do “Discos” which will allow you to get armor/weapon stones and memory fragments for upgrading your gear. Also, the tiny bit of money you’re earning grinding at level 50 can go into buying more relic shards to do more “Discos”. I won’t argue against gearing up, that is 100% a viable option. But, that gear will only scale as hard as your character is capable of making it scale. If you’re stuck at level 50 with no access to powerful abilities, that +15 weapon won’t do much more damage than a +10 or +11 weapon.

Conclusion:
Really, the only argument to a level 50 cap is to prevent hardcore players from gaining an advantage over the other, more casual players. That’s it. People who have purchased a $100 early access bundle want to be able to play the game during that early access. If you cap them at level 50 they will be done leveling in under 12 hours (since we get current PC xp rates level 50 is doable in just a few hours if you know what you’re doing) and then be sitting around waiting on that level cap to be lifted so that they can start grinding again. Sure, you can go get your knowledge up for higher energy cap, you can quest and cook to get CP, and you can do life skills just get them set up. But that is only half the game. Closing the other half of the game (the half that most people enjoy by the way) behind an XP cap is simply a bad decision and should be removed.

  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree there should be no level cap in a game that’s end game is literally grinding I will see no point to keep playing because my character will not be progressing, it just makes the game very casual.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The level caps are pointless. It just leads to wasted exp gains while you grind and wait for it to raise.

They did this on MENA launch and it was trash. Completely invalidates the growth high-scores. (and sucks the fun out of competing for server growth)

Softcaps are a much better system. Slow it down 10x after 50. Let those of us who will push it hit 50+ while the casual crowd can hit 50 easy.

Edited by Harming
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harming said:

The level caps are pointless. It just leads to wasted exp gains while you grind and wait for it to raise.

They did this on MENA launch and it was trash. Completely invalidates the growth high-scores. (and sucks the fun out of competing for server growth)

Softcaps are a much better system. Slow it down 10x after 50. Let those of us who will push it hit 50+ while the casual crowd can hit 50 easy.

Exactly keep progressing for your hard work that you're putting in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewBlacksmurf said:

If I'm honest, from my point of view, this is EXACTLY WHY THERE SHOULD BE A LEVEL CAP

Black Desert was not designed, and is far from balanced any more, for this kind of hard level cap. It takes every aspect of competitiveness out of the game and to me completely defeats the purpose and the need of "early access." This will directly limit some classes viability in the game at all.

-----

My main issue with this level cap is that it doesn't serve to enhance or benefit anyone. We have been given "early access" on packages only to be told that we can only do so much in the game. The arguments I see for this are coming from people who I don't think have ever been in a situation where your class isn't viable because of it's limited skill selection. We are already limited down to 6 characters at launch and now we are even being limited to how we can level. Even if your main focus isn't to PvP you should still be behind having this hard level cap removed, if this was lifeskills that were all capped at beginner how would that be taken?

Lets break it down, no server has ever had a hard level cap like this put on it except for SEA. They have always had massive content gap grinds to be able to reach anything near what a "level cap" would be. The SEA servers were given content almost immediately because of how fast people progressed to the 50 cap. They gave classes and level changes almost day one. Why are we expecting anything different to happen here? Keep in mind that we were also told that we wont be getting updates weekly. This could also affect how fast this can be changed.

The level cap may even prevent open world pvping because it is only enabled past level 50.

 

Players are going to hit this cap within hours. Why are we limiting progression in a brand new game so hard that players will be searching for something else to do after only a few hours? I honestly feel like this is a bad idea and I imploring the PA staff here to reanalyze this and hope that they will take our concerns seriously. A hard level cap is a not fun environment to play in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xCROv said:

Black Desert was not designed, and is far from balanced any more, for this kind of hard level cap. It takes every aspect of competitiveness out of the game and to me completely defeats the purpose and the need of "early access." This will directly limit some classes viability in the game at all.

-----

My main issue with this level cap is that it doesn't serve to enhance or benefit anyone. We have been given "early access" on packages only to be told that we can only do so much in the game. The arguments I see for this are coming from people who I don't think have ever been in a situation where your class isn't viable because of it's limited skill selection. We are already limited down to 6 characters at launch and now we are even being limited to how we can level. Even if your main focus isn't to PvP you should still be behind having this hard level cap removed, if this was lifeskills that were all capped at beginner how would that be taken?

Lets break it down, no server has ever had a hard level cap like this put on it except for SEA. They have always had massive content gap grinds to be able to reach anything near what a "level cap" would be. The SEA servers were given content almost immediately because of how fast people progressed to the 50 cap. They gave classes and level changes almost day one. Why are we expecting anything different to happen here? Keep in mind that we were also told that we wont be getting updates weekly. This could also affect how fast this can be changed.

The level cap may even prevent open world pvping because it is only enabled past level 50.

 

Players are going to hit this cap within hours. Why are we limiting progression in a brand new game so hard that players will be searching for something else to do after only a few hours? I honestly feel like this is a bad idea and I imploring the PA staff here to reanalyze this and hope that they will take our concerns seriously. A hard level cap is a not fun environment to play in.

Its O K to disagree and I don't feel anyone needs to or should agree with me.

Just adding to the discussion, from my perspective in reading different comments...this presents valid reasons for there to be a level cap.

One observation I see...some opinions are being based upon what PC does 

Edited by NewBlacksmurf
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@xCROv Yep 100%

1 minute ago, NewBlacksmurf said:

Its O K to disagree and I don't feel anyone needs to or should agree with me.

Just adding to the discussion, from my perspective in reading different comments...this present valid reasons for there to be a level cap.

Why? Give a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Beond said:

Exactly keep progressing for your hard work that you're putting in

I can understand that side but for those of us who haven't played and are trying things for the first time, doesn't the temporary cap level the playing field a bit? At least now I know I have a chance to just test things out without feeling pressure to rush thru every single thing starting out. It really only affects those that have played on pc, it's more a console player vs pc player thing but that also depends how long that cap stays in place. 

Edited by Jammer480
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jammer480 said:

But for those of us who haven't played and are trying things for the first time, doesn't the temporary cap level the playing field a bit? At least now I know I have a chance to just test things out without feeling pressure to rush thru every single thing starting out. It really only affects those that have played on pc, it's more a console player vs pc player thing but that also depends how long that cap stays in place. 

It shouldn't effect that at all even a new player should be lvl 50 in no less than 4 hours and that's without even doing any research.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cloudkicker said:

Adding level cap is tantamount to a cap on hours. And if it's gonna be removed "soon" after....why bother capping?

 

17 minutes ago, Harming said:

The level caps are pointless. It just leads to wasted exp gains while you grind and wait for it to raise.

They did this on MENA launch and it was trash. Completely invalidates the growth high-scores. (and sucks the fun out of competing for server growth)

Softcaps are a much better system. Slow it down 10x after 50. Let those of us who will push it hit 50+ while the casual crowd can hit 50 easy.

 

These are both great points. If this cap is going to be remove "not to long after launch" then why even add it. Give people something to push past and earn. Soft caps for leveling is where it needs to be. It gives people that want to push that hard something to earn. There is no personalization to a game that everyone is the exact same.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beond said:

It shouldn't effect that at all even a new player should be lvl 50 in no less than 4 hours and that's without even doing any research.

Will leveling be faster than the beta?  4hrs...I'll probably still be in the character creator, lol.

Edited by Jammer480
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it more as soft cap.

Don't see the point why they would make lvl cap suddenly since they are porting the game 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jammer480 said:

Will leveling be faster than the beta?

Okay this is a great question and I think answers your previous question. The reason that leveling in the beta was so slow was because there was a cap in place. This time though it was a content cap. We could not progress past any monsters that were worth the exp value that would be "efficient." This really exemplifies why hard caps are bad. We are trading one cap for another. This isn't a "best case scenario" for new players or old players, this is a lose-lose for everyone. New players will hit this cap, and they will do it on almost day one. Watching one youtube video on a route can easily get you to lvl 50 in a day. This will impact everyone regardless of how long you have played the game.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jammer480 said:

Will leveling be faster than the beta?  4hrs...I'll probably still be in the character creator, lol.

From 35 + yes we were capped at low level mobs that's why leveling slowed so much

Edited by Beond
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beond said:

From 35 + yes we were capped at low level mobs that's why leveling slowed so much

I forgot that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is this as to why its capped...  1 areas at launch  level 50 and below 2 new players never played bdo to give an adjustment time to learn basics of game so dont get frustrated and quit 3 no nodes at launch or awakenings... They want a strong player base, this game is new for so many of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones complaining about level cap is the same people that don't do the quest line they just jump to the higher level areas as fast as possible cause they want to be first to 62 on Xbox one,  I don't mind the level cap,  I'm not going to be leaving my Xbox on to do AFK fish or anything else,  and open world pvp starts at 50 not 51 all you have to do is a quest at catfishman and you hit 50 boom pvp. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sunstar said:

My theory is this as to why its capped...  1 areas at launch  level 50 and below 2 new players never played bdo to give an adjustment time to learn basics of game so dont get frustrated and quit 3 no nodes at launch or awakenings... They want a strong player base, this game is new for so many of us.

But this doesn't help new players it hinders them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deathz Angel said:

The ones complaining about level cap is the same people that don't do the quest line they just jump to the higher level areas as fast as possible cause they want to be first to 62 on Xbox one,  I don't mind the level cap,  I'm not going to be leaving my Xbox on to do AFK fish or anything else,  and open world pvp starts at 50 not 51 all you have to do is a quest at catfishman and you hit 50 boom pvp. 

I almost typed out a reply before I realized that I was browsing on my phone and noticed who I was replying to. Silly block feature not working on mobile. Regardless though, there are several things wrong with your statement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's the right, or wrong call, who can say? Regardless of the overwhelming majority not wanting a cap, they won't listen, so why bother saying anything? PA does exactly what they want everytime. Took them a good while of people complaining for them to remove the renown system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinjin said:

If it's the right, or wrong call, who can say? Regardless of the overwhelming majority not wanting a cap, they won't listen, so why bother saying anything? PA does exactly what they want everytime. Took them a good while of people complaining for them to remove the renown system.

Different team you never know if you don't try @[CM]Shirna

Edited by Beond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we assuming he meant a hard cap and not a soft cap? Since the game self regulates how fast you can level by limiting xp from lower level grinds, I'd agree that a soft cap would make more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beond said:

But this doesn't help new players it hinders them

"Hinders" them in not getting left behind?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×