Sign in to follow this  
Vasher2689

Crushed blacks driving me nuts

I really enjoy the game and it would look great on the X if not for the fact that it’s so dark all the time once the day night cycle kicks in. Seen lots of complaints about this, please do something about the super deep blacks and awful tone mapping.

• Like 1

I like the brightness. It's supposed to be darker during night in a rpg, it's immersive. The moon lights up nicely

Have you tried calibrating your monitor?

That said, a gamma option wouldn't hurt for those with problems

We need more options to customize the ui and effects in general, and to turn down the god awful screen shake

My monitor is fully calibrated. I’m not one of these guys running cool 2 and sharpness on lol, It’s the tone mapping and the lighting, look up toward the sky even slightly and the entire background is pitch black. The games contrast is way too high.

look at a game like red dead 2 or Zelda BotW to see top notch tone mapping. The game looks great before the day night cycle kicks in but once evening night or morning hit it’s black everywhere, even with rgb set to limited. 

14 minutes ago, Vasher2689 said:

My monitor is fully calibrated. I’m not one of these guys running cool 2 and sharpness on lol, It’s the tone mapping and the lighting, look up toward the sky even slightly and the entire background is pitch black. The games contrast is way too high.

look at a game like red dead 2 or Zelda BotW to see top notch tone mapping. The game looks great before the day night cycle kicks in but once evening night or morning hit it’s black everywhere, even with rgb set to limited. 

I can see just fine during the night, it's darker like it's supposed to be at night, but I think the colors look great for a mmorpg like this. 

You can get items that light up around you during the night, or you can get a fairy later that does the same. They are in the game to lighten up nights.

If they reduce brightness more the colors will look flat and it won't be immersive

The HDR is still borked in the game, doesn’t work. And in beta 1 they had brightness issues and ‘said’ they tried to fix them for this beta.

Bottomline, the brights are to bright, the darks are to dark. It directly relates to them trying to adjust for the HDR settings on 4k support.

What they need to add is a brightness and gamma slider, easy...done.

4 hours ago, WindlessGuitar said:

Id also like to shink my characters and see more of the screen better seems theres no visual options

Holding down the left stick for a few seconds turns on the hidden camera mode. It lets you zoom out and with the dpad adjust up/down right/left camera perspective.

100% agree, some camera angles will cause the entire screen to go almost entirely black, even during the day cycle.  Mine occurred continuously on Xbox OG and Xbox S.  

It really has me considering not going for the Ultimate preorder.  Too many games have I preordered with the thought 'I'm sure they will fix it' only to have that never pan out.  My wife was annoyed to the point that she cancelled her preorder and will just wait things out.  I don't blame her.  The state of the game is not worth $100...or even $50.  It's simply not ready for release it seems.

46 minutes ago, Hardcore said:

100% agree, some camera angles will cause the entire screen to go almost entirely black, even during the day cycle.  Mine occurred continuously on Xbox OG and Xbox S.  

It really has me considering not going for the Ultimate preorder.  Too many games have I preordered with the thought 'I'm sure they will fix it' only to have that never pan out.  My wife was annoyed to the point that she cancelled her preorder and will just wait things out.  I don't blame her.  The state of the game is not worth $100...or even $50.  It's simply not ready for release it seems.

Don't count on any significant changes to brightness, safe zone, screenshake or any other bugs which were already reported in first beta.