ChilMeiSTer1968

Game Review After a Month

Ok where should i start, this is kinda aimed at anyone new who maybe reading on these forums to get an idea of what to expect from Black Desert Online.

So if you have the money this game can be great from Level 1 to 50, you can easily buy all the level +15 gear from the start and literally run through the world in a day earning enough silver too to boost your items up to ultimate grade. Tip buy the outfits at least 5, there are queues of poorer players waiting to buy them at £29 million each oh and grab a months value pack to avoid 30% tax on sales (You wont need more than a months) The games makes you feel uber as from level one to Fifty you will be killing mobs with ease and feel like your earning loads and upgrading fast with quests throwing gold at you and upgrading mats but then you hit 50 and its like you hit a wall the levelling slows the gold rewards disappear you find your just plodding though story missions hoping for it to end. And then at around 55 you will have probably completed all black spirit story missions and maybe plod into Valencia hoping to re live the glory of that fast levelling and upgrading you got with the lower level mobs but alas no, you will just find yourself fighting harder hitting mobs and all that silver you earned slowly going away as you try to upgrade your gear so you can at least kill one centaur elite in less than five minutes to be rewarded with its mane to sell and no xp. Dont get me wrong though, there are some areas in Valencia where with your gear you may still feel uber but the xp is practically non existent since level 55.  

The RNG in the game is garbage you will find yourself running around in circles killing thousands of monsters in a continuous loop on the off chance after 4 hours of this they will drop you a jewellery item that you will most likely sell on the market because you cant face another four hours grind for a second on to upgrade the first drop to its next level and thats only if the upgrade does not fail resulting in both drops being destroyed (and players find this fun?) Armour and weapon drops from mobs are a joke, they a literally only any use to sell on CM or to use for repairs for failed upgrade attempts even the bosses drop weapons that may be the best once fully upgraded but at initial drop are garbage and lower level than the weapon you probably used on the boss fight.

Upgrading is a joke requiring a degree in fail-stacking that the game does not teach you and a higher chance of your weapon downgrading or accessories being completely destroyed, the Central Market gives you a good idea how poor the gear upgrading is in this game as very rarely do items on there go above Duo for Armour or Tri for weapons. So unless you really are spending your life in this game world your not going to get the best gear after level 50. 

In the end if you have the time to spend on trying out the crafting or daily killing the bosses for upgrade mats then you will love this game, but if you dont then just buy the £7.99 version and dont waste any money on pearl boxes as it will be wasted. I spent a lot and have 5 decently geared alts, my highest being a level 56 witch but im seriously bored now as Valencia is just another grind area with more running backwards and forwards than actual quests oh and a desert you can get lost and actually die in.

And on a final note there's PVP  bang you hit level 50 bang it becomes open season, those no life higher geared players just love a noob hitting level 50 and trying to farm better gear. They will hit all the best farming areas just looking for some excuse to kill you and then have the nerve to blame you if their Karma drops because you were in the way of their farming. So yeh there is pvp which can be fun in node wars or battlefields but a bit depressing if you just trying to farm better gear. 

PS, Forgot to add i am still playing the game just pointing out my personal feelings on the game in a non aggressive manor for anyone thinking of trying it out. Get ready for the fanboy comments to start rolling in. 

Edited by ChilMeiSTer1968
  • Haha 3

A quick search on youtube would have saved you money. Everything you wanted to know.about the game is there. Highest character a level 56? Did you just start yesterday what a joke. Uninstall 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

Ok where should i start, this is kinda aimed at anyone new who maybe reading on these forums to get an idea of what to expect from Black Desert Online.

So if you have the money this game can be great from Level 1 to 50, you can easily buy all the level +15 gear from the start and literally run through the world in a day earning enough silver too to boost your items up to ultimate grade. Tip buy the outfits at least 5, there are queues of poorer players waiting to buy them at £29 million each oh and grab a months value pack to avoid 30% tax on sales (You wont need more than a months) The games makes you feel uber as from level one to Fifty you will be killing mobs with ease and feel like your earning loads and upgrading fast with quests throwing gold at you and upgrading mats but then you hit 50 and its like you hit a wall the levelling slows the gold rewards disappear you find your just plodding though story missions hoping for it to end. And then at around 55 you will have probably completed all black spirit story missions and maybe plod into Valencia hoping to re live the glory of that fast levelling and upgrading you got with the lower level mobs but alas no, you will just find yourself fighting harder hitting mobs and all that silver you earned slowly going away as you try to upgrade your gear so you can at least kill one centaur elite in less than five minutes to be rewarded with its mane to sell and no xp. Dont get me wrong though, there are some areas in Valencia where with your gear you may still feel uber but the xp is practically non existent since level 55.  

The RNG in the game is garbage you will find yourself running around in circles killing thousands of monsters in a continuous loop on the off chance after 4 hours of this they will drop you a jewellery item that you will most likely sell on the market because you cant face another four hours grind for a second on to upgrade the first drop to its next level and thats only if the upgrade does not fail resulting in both drops being destroyed (and players find this fun?) Armour and weapon drops from mobs are a joke, they a literally only any use to sell on CM or to use for repairs for failed upgrade attempts even the bosses drop weapons that may be the best once fully upgraded but at initial drop are garbage and lower level than the weapon you probably used on the boss fight.

Upgrading is a joke requiring a degree in fail-stacking that the game does not teach you and a higher chance of your weapon downgrading or accessories being completely destroyed, the Central Market gives you a good idea how poor the gear upgrading is in this game as very rarely do items on there go above Duo for Armour or Tri for weapons. So unless you really are spending your life in this game world your not going to get the best gear after level 50. 

In the end if you have the time to spend on trying out the crafting or daily killing the bosses for upgrade mats then you will love this game, but if you dont then just buy the £7.99 version and dont waste any money on pearl boxes as it will be wasted. I spent a lot and have 5 decently geared alts, my highest being a level 56 witch but im seriously bored now as Valencia is just another grind area with more running backwards and forwards than actual quests oh and a desert you can get lost and actually die in.

And on a final note there's PVP  bang you hit level 50 bang it becomes open season, those no life higher geared players just love a noob hitting level 50 and trying to farm better gear. They will hit all the best farming areas just looking for some excuse to kill you and then have the nerve to blame you if their Karma drops because you were in the way of their farming. So yeh there is pvp which can be fun in node wars or battlefields but a bit depressing if you just trying to farm better gear. 

That's a review from one very salty individual who has very little knowledge of the game. How can he have any when he says that he gets non existent xp at 55 or 56. Oh my.. bashims, nagas, fogans, gahaz - few of the best xp/hr grind spots for lower geared players up to 200 AP or even more. You probably can't one shot a pack anywhere in Valencia and that's why you say it's garbage. Perhaps try Catfish 😂

I would recommend anyone reading this taking it with a HUGE grain of salt. 

18 minutes ago, Bnews757 said:

A quick search on youtube would have saved you money. Everything you wanted to know.about the game is there. Highest character a level 56? Did you just start yesterday what a joke. Uninstall 

So your admitting that the in game tutorial is garbage then?

1 minute ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

So your admitting that the in game tutorial is garbage then?

Want a tutorial go play wow. Did you expect them to hold your hand?

19 minutes ago, Yiazzy said:

And to all the new players who read this nonsense, feel free to immediately ignore it. 

I think if you go on You Tube you will find that just about all reviews state the same as me, But you too are entitled to your opinion so feel free to give the game your glowing review on here and contradict anything i have said. I mean ive searched all these forums and the complaints do seem to outnumber anything positive and not just on here. 

10 minutes ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

I think if you go on You Tube you will find that just about all reviews state the same as me, But you too are entitled to your opinion so feel free to give the game your glowing review on here and contradict anything i have said. I mean ive searched all these forums and the complaints do seem to outnumber anything positive and not just on here. 

You're literally telling players to buy outfits to sell on the cm. That is AWFUL advice, seeing as I bought my first chars +15 gear without selling any pearl items in the cm. 

This wasn't a review, this was a rant from a time-poor player who thinks his way is the best way, and new players should ignore it before you quite simply ruin the game for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

You're too casual for this game. You miss the big picture because this game is a marathon and a huge time devour. Lvl 56 is achievable in one session (two if you plan to sleep) and you present it as if it was something really hard to do.  You know where the hardship begins ? At lvl 60. A trip from 59 to 60 takes casual two-three weeks tops and anyone can reach lvl 60 with at least a bit of time and good preparation. 

The more time you put into Black Desert the more you get - character level, skill points, and silver which you can invest in upgraded gear or upgrading the gear yourself. 

I can only imagine how inconsistent your grind is in Valencia with your stats and how discouraging it would have looked on youtube if you posted a video of your "grinding" sessions. 

Chil is still playing so the game must have some stuff he likes, maybe should have also included that in the review, it may not have come across more like a rant. its not my experience of the game but that's not to say Chil's review or vent has no valid points.    

48 minutes ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

PS, Forgot to add i am still playing the game just pointing out my personal feelings on the game in a non aggressive manor for anyone thinking of trying it out. Get ready for the fanboy comments to start rolling in. 

I'm probably one of the more vocal players about this games P2W practices and there's a few things that I maybe agree on such as the poor enhancement system which is definitely geared towards cash shop sales when you start looking at boss item upgrades.

But having read some of your posts before I really don't think you have grasped the aspects of the game. For a start fail stacking isn't that difficult to understand and watching or reading something for 10 mins will give you a basic grasp in what you should be doing. I agree that there should be more in game explanations that are easily accessible with regards to the game mechanics for new players but like all MMOs this usually needs some outside game time investment to get a full understanding of the games mechanics before you become competent.

You stated before that you bought multiple sets for each alt and also put a costume on them. Had you just focused on one character your gaming experience would be vastly different from what it is now. You could have had one pretty decently geared main character and 1 alt for bosses/lifeskills etc but you instead have 5 mediocre characters. There also no need to gear every alt as you can just use the same armour/accessories on each character. Weapons you don't even need as you can do the quest line for the offhand & black abysmal weapon for alts.

If you're simply going into the desert and trying to kill mobs that are way too high for you of course it's going to take you 5 mins to kill one when it's AP recommendations are 190 and you're trying to kill it with like 130 or something. Again this is just a lack of understanding because you can go onto the map and press Y dpad left a few times and it will show you what the AP range is for a specific mob/area.

Grinding for levels really doesn't start until you're like 57+. You can do 55 in like 4-5 hours and 56 would probably take another few hours in top of that.

In my opinion the only things that need changed in this game are the blatant P2W mechanics from the cash shop & maybe a rework on the equipment degrade/destroy mechanic when enhancing (Crons is not a viable option for most people & is geared towards P2W). Those 2 things alone will drive a lot of people away. Fix that and you have a solid MMO that's up there with the best of them.

1 hour ago, Bnews757 said:

Want a tutorial go play wow. Did you expect them to hold your hand?

So now your admitting the game has no tutorial, and who the hell plays wow these days lol

5 minutes ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

So now your admitting the game has no tutorial, and who the hell plays wow these days lol

Probably quite a few people come 27th August.

As in quite a few more million than currently playing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OKAYIGETITNOW said:

I'm probably one of the more vocal players about this games P2W practices and there's a few things that I maybe agree on such as the poor enhancement system which is definitely geared towards cash shop sales when you start looking at boss item upgrades.

But having read some of your posts before I really don't think you have grasped the aspects of the game. For a start fail stacking isn't that difficult to understand and watching or reading something for 10 mins will give you a basic grasp in what you should be doing. I agree that there should be more in game explanations that are easily accessible with regards to the game mechanics for new players but like all MMOs this usually needs some outside game time investment to get a full understanding of the games mechanics before you become competent.

You stated before that you bought multiple sets for each alt and also put a costume on them. Had you just focused on one character your gaming experience would be vastly different from what it is now. You could have had one pretty decently geared main character and 1 alt for bosses/lifeskills etc but you instead have 5 mediocre characters. There also no need to gear every alt as you can just use the same armour/accessories on each character. Weapons you don't even need as you can do the quest line for the offhand & black abysmal weapon for alts.

If you're simply going into the desert and trying to kill mobs that are way too high for you of course it's going to take you 5 mins to kill one when it's AP recommendations are 190 and you're trying to kill it with like 130 or something. Again this is just a lack of understanding because you can go onto the map and press Y dpad left a few times and it will show you what the AP range is for a specific mob/area.

Grinding for levels really doesn't start until you're like 57+. You can do 55 in like 4-5 hours and 56 would probably take another few hours in top of that.

In my opinion the only things that need changed in this game are the blatant P2W mechanics from the cash shop & maybe a rework on the equipment degrade/destroy mechanic when enhancing (Crons is not a viable option for most people & is geared towards P2W). Those 2 things alone will drive a lot of people away. Fix that and you have a solid MMO that's up there with the best of them.

I'm just reviewing the game from the perspective of a gamer who has the money to use the pearl store as a boost, which most players with full time jobs will do. I dont want to spend my evenings wasting an hour and all my silver trying to get a Tet weapon I just want to quest and have fun.

On lvl 55 u can accept a side quest called battle promotion or something like that. It gives u around 50% exp for lvl 55-56. Wow it takes so long to get lvl 56 around 2 to max 4 hours. It has 3 steps. Step 1 kill around 300 sausans. Ironmine enemies and elrics. Step 2 kill 200 sausans. Step 3 give him 10 weapons and 10 Armour blackstones. After that u should be around 80 to 90 percent at least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

People who are too ignorant to understand  Black Desert and need to have their hand held. And Black Desert has 10x the tutorial that Dark Souls had, that series was and is simply awesome but very apparently far above your level of comprehension. Tbh, if someone needs hand holding, maybe stick to T-ball and mini golf...

5 hours ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

Er....everything has a tutorial. Remember that Basteer weapon tutorial for enhancing and extracting black stones? 

As for failstacking, if anyone fails to notice the percentage chance going up every time it fails, there's no hope for them, and they should go play a child's game. 

16 minutes ago, Jammer480 said:

People who are too ignorant to understand  Black Desert and need to have their hand held. And Black Desert has 10x the tutorial that Dark Souls had, that series was and is simply awesome but very apparently far above your level of comprehension. Tbh, if someone needs hand holding, maybe stick to T-ball and mini golf...

I dont normally use the forums to insult players, but you my friend seem to enjoy it. Using my personal view on the game to insult me calling me if not directly ignorant. I have played more online mmos than your probably tiny mind could process I started gaming in 1979 with my first Atari I'm gonna guess you were still swimming around in a ball sack then. So yes I like a tutorial yes I'd like better more reliable crafting methods and maybe better drops in the world that maybe level to the areas you are playing in. This post was aimed at new and adult players and when I say adult I mean over 25 at least as that's when most working class tend to switch on their grown up brain and not use their I'm an uber ego prat childs brain resorting to petty insults or get Gud.

I was hoping for constructive mature criticism or at least someone mature to point me in the right direction if they feel my review is wrong but you dont get that on this forum I see, just lots of complaints followed by immature insults from fan boys. I will happily take your insults if you can back them up with positive reviews that dont also point out the issues i have raised too.

And hopefully you can do this in a positive rather than an aggressive negative manner:)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yiazzy said:

Er....everything has a tutorial. Remember that Basteer weapon tutorial for enhancing and extracting black stones? 

As for failstacking, if anyone fails to notice the percentage chance going up every time it fails, there's no hope for them, and they should go play a child's game. 

Another post that just offers up criticism rather than something positive that would help point me in the right direction. Your replies on most posts or bad points always tend to be aggressive and in a way insulting. Like I've said to other posters on here back up your comments with some positive reviews or at least some mature positive comments that will help me to see where I'm going wrong in the game to have come to my view. If you cant do this like an adult then dont post a reply.

2 hours ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

I'm just reviewing the game from the perspective of a gamer who has the money to use the pearl store as a boost, which most players with full time jobs will do. I dont want to spend my evenings wasting an hour and all my silver trying to get a Tet weapon I just want to quest and have fun.

You can easily level alts to 55 with just the gear you get from playing the main quest. Think you wasted money buying costumes to sell for silver. Didn't think anyone actually did that.

8 minutes ago, justfaded said:

You can easily level alts to 55 with just the gear you get from playing the main quest. Think you wasted money buying costumes to sell for silver. Didn't think anyone actually did that.

Why else do you think the CM has a Pearl items section. But yes I agree you can level with items given to you, i just wanted better faster so i twinked my alts. It's just my play style and I can afford it. 

3 hours ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

Another post that just offers up criticism rather than something positive that would help point me in the right direction. Your replies on most posts or bad points always tend to be aggressive and in a way insulting. Like I've said to other posters on here back up your comments with some positive reviews or at least some mature positive comments that will help me to see where I'm going wrong in the game to have come to my view. If you cant do this like an adult then dont post a reply.

Well come on, failstacking information is LITERALLY on the screen. And that was directed at the general playerbase, hence the use of the word, "Anyone" 

As for the enhancing comment part, I see nothing wrong with it. 

6 hours ago, ChilMeiSTer1968 said:

Fair enough if that's all you desire from the game and you like making your character look good then that's fine, but you could just as easily do that with the 7.99 version of the game. They literally throw pets/weapons/armour at you in game through quests and daily rewards so it's very easy to just mess about in lower level areas doing quests and stuff.

I don't really think this game is very alt friendly to be honest. Yeah you can switch gear and lvl very fast but the time investment after lvl 57 to get XP and skills is really a chore due to the constant grinding, unless you actually enjoy killing the same mobs over and over for weeks hitting the same buttons. Also the way cash shop only applies stuff like costumes, inventory space & weight to one character is just a cash grab scam. 

If this game doesn't hold your hand.

What is a game that hold your hand ? An interactive movie ?

There are introduction quests for combat,life skills.enhancement,workers,node,....There is also a quest summary in case you don't want to read everything.

A mini map,a world map with different options .

Icons "everywhere", for quest givers, for quest goals,magical trail,auto path,crafting notes,afk,microtransactions,.....

Edited by Quantum

To OP, if you only PvE,one character,no need to use microtransactions and no need to enhance your gear.

This is how i play.

I got 2 free pets (rarely use them,except my hawk because he can spawn a mini boss) ,but i can loot by myself.(pressing a button,isn't that hard).

Plus all the free stuffs,i got since i started ( 2 months),it's not that hard,just time consuming (but it's a rpg,after all).

Enemies got a level cap,no skill to level up,no gear to enhance and no awakening.

So with time everything can be beaten.

If you PvP that's another story.