Dark_King

Should I buy it?

Hello gamers 😀

Yesterday I found out about Black Desert Online. I startet my research about this game and I like it alot so far! But I got still some questions. I would be happy, if someone could give me answers for my questions.

- Does leveling my character up to level 50 take long? I'm asking that, because I would like to start a new game but I don't have much time to play it all the time. 1-2h daily is my limit.

- What kind of riding animals does BDO have?

- Is it a "pay to win" game? With that I mean, when I don't invest real money in this game, is it still possible for me achieve good items or good armour and alot of money?

- Can you tell me your favorite part about this game?

Thank you for your answer and your time!😀

Edited by Dark_King

First 55 levels are easy

Riding animals you have horses,camels and elephants 

So p2w that depends on how you look at it sure you can pay your way to the top but itll take hundreds if not thousands of dollars to do that 

I personally play on xbox and the only thing I pay for is the value pack which is sort of like a premium subscription it gives 10% exp, 16 extra inventory slots, like 100 more weight, unlimited use of the coloring outfits feature and you can change your appearance any time oh and a tax cut when you sell stuff on the central market (that's the trading system) now with that said I am 552 gs and the top guilds ask for 520+ so yes you can get good gear without paying your way to the top.

My favorite part of the game is killing monsters to get more silver and the occasional pvp

• Thanks 1

It does not take long, however there are different things to consider: If you want to experience the main questline, you will get a nice boost to lvl 53/54 and end up in mediah.

From there, i recommend grinding to lvl 55 via monster slaying. At 55 you "unlock" the quest "Combat promotion" from the otter trio (should be listed in your quest log). This quest demands you to slay 1300 monsters (500 iron mine, 500 helms and 300 elric), then turn in 10 Blackstones each (20 total) and finally to slay 200 Sausans. You will likely end up at 40%-50% exp lvl 55.

Turning the quest in yields about 50% exp, so you will reach 56 by doing it. Awakening is at 56 = new way to play your class = in most cases better dmg/aoe at the cost of skill rotation demand (as your normal attack will be considerably weaker in awakening at first) 

Another way would be to simply grind monsters via hot spot map and move to a new location when you reach certain lvl thresholds. This is faster, but you will miss out on CP from quests and quest gear/items.

I just continue / end the segment with the aspect of you having another choice at 56 to either grind away lvls, do the next main story quest line and or do side quests. Side quests are unique quests which will yield 1% exp to your level at 56 and 57. They are for example: "Get my cat" - done in 5 seconds, 1% exp. Do NOT WASTE these quests early on! I would highly recomment sticking to the main quest line until you hit 56 and then backtrack and do all other quests. It really boosts your level up at the cost of not gaining skill exp.

---

Horses, camels, elephants - (and non living) - boats, wagons

---

With your definiton: No. You can manage somehow, but the cost of convenience is ultra personal and in my books a clear P2W strategy.
I am referring to limiting factors being implement to actively lure you into buying stuff. If you are ok spending around 30$ a month on an online game, you could do quite well with a little investment and then see each transaction as support for the company.

---

My favorite part is the package of extremely cool combat coupled with a lot of ways to earn silver. BDO is excepetional in all aspects and while i believe it to be a "first try" game, there is a lot to enjoy. You should check out Crimson Desert - the next level BDO in production right now by PA. With all the opinions i have gathered, Crimson Desert seems to be what Black Desert should have been. Or as i said before; BDO is the first try and CD will be the real deal.

Still a long way out and precisely why you can try out BDO. Fun challenge: Write a number on paper - that will be your maximum investment to test out the game. Do not spend more and set a time limit, when your testing period shall come to an end.

Sorry for the long answer and detours, hope it was useful!

Edited by Skywood
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, Dark_King said:

Hello gamers 😀

Yesterday I found out about Black Desert Online. I startet my research about this game and I like it alot so far! But I got still some questions. I would be happy, if someone could give me answers for my questions.

- Does leveling my character up to level 50 take long? I'm asking that, because I would like to start a new game but I don't have much time to play it all the time. 1-2h daily is my limit.

- Is it a "pay to win" game? With that I mean, when I don't invest real money in this game, is it still possible for me achieve good items or good armour and alot of money?

Hello friend this is marketed as rpg game but its a fighting game with rpg elements. You can quest and " lifeskill" up to 49 in peace and quiet, however after you accept lv 50 quest and use clear memory frag you accept forced PvP which means you can be randomly attacked now by anyone anytime that you are outside a safe zone. If you don't mind that you can level endlessly, like there is no level cap but its soo hard to get to 63 like year of grinding hard. 

• Confused 1

Don't listen to deathz angel he doesn't know anything since he hasn't experienced the game people don't attack you without reason like savages and no 63 doesn't take a year 😂 im already 62 and I made this character a month ago there's so many ways to level up

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, Dark_King said:

Hello gamers 😀

Leveling your character to 55 usually takes a couple hours (so probably 2-3 days if you can only play 1-2 hours a day).  Keep in mind that once you hit lvl 49 and do the Black Spirit quest to allow you to level up to 50 you will enter the open world pvp stage of the game.  In my experience people don't typically just attack you unless they're 1) a red player (meaning their name is red indicating they have negative karma and have killed other players), 2) a player that's in an enemy guild that your guild has declared war with, 3) you have flagged up (enabled yourself to attack anyone) or 4) if you're getting in the way of them killing mobs at a grind spot (fighting for grind spots).

BDO only has three mounts as far as I know: Mini-elephants, camels and horses (or Heilang, kinda, if you're a Tamer class).  The horses, at the highest tier, have a super low chance of becoming one of three ultimate mounts (pegasus, unicorn, Doom horse) each with their own special skills.  Not sure if this is possible yet, but it will be once all mechanics have been added to the game.

Basically, it can be p2w.  There are people who pay lots of money to get their gear enhanced faster or make in-game money faster than it would take just playing the game without irl money (mainly people buy the costumes because they can be sold on the central market (cm) for silver or melted down into cron stones, which help immensely in not letting your gear grade decrease while enhancing).  In a sense, you can only get costumes with in-game money on the cm because people are buying them with irl money and putting them into the game.  So yes, there are p2w elements and if you're looking to be a competitive pvp-er while only playing 1-2 hours a day it's going to take you a bit to catch up with gear if you're not looking to spend some irl $.

My favorite part about being in this game is being in a guild.  I played BDO for about 2 years super casually when it was initially released for PC.  At the time I played solo and really missed out on being competitive (in my opinion at least) because I didn't have a community to play with.  Now on PS4 it's been a lot more fun and I've progressed more quickly than I ever did while solo.  Not to suggest that solo play isn't totally viable, I just enjoy the group aspect of BDO very much.  Win or lose, rushing over to help a guildie getting ganked by others for a grind spot or trying to defend a node is always fun and gives some weight to the pvp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1