Mihari

What do you think about the new UI?

With the new update yesterday, we got also a lot of new UI elements and changes for the XBox. After playing the whole evening with the new UI, I personally found it absolutely horrible:

• The font size is too small on a 4K TV and hardly to read
  • The navigation with LB/RB and LT/RT is much worse and slower than before
  • The quest acceptance is more complicated than before (found it out while questing with my new Kunoichi)
  • Some elements are more "clean structured" and no longer arranged intuitively

The more I play Black Desert after the new UI changes, the more I find things that bother me. For me it seems that PA has switched from an optimized Console UI into a bad PC UI 😪

• Like 1

I don't like it personally. Might be because i got used to the old UI but i can say for sure that the amity UI is AWFUL!

I started a couple of days ago doing an energy grind and the old UI was much more friendly.

I now need to press X every time i want to see an NPCs interest % etc. 

Absolutely too many clicks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mihari said:

With the new update yesterday, we got also a lot of new UI elements and changes for the XBox. After playing the whole evening with the new UI, I personally found it absolutely horrible:

• The font size is too small on a 4K TV and hardly to read
  • The navigation with LB/RB and LT/RT is much worse and slower than before
  • The quest acceptance is more complicated than before (found it out while questing with my new Kunoichi)
  • Some elements are more "clean structured" and no longer arranged intuitively

The more I play Black Desert after the new UI changes, the more I find things that bother me. For me it seems that PA has switched from an optimized Console UI into a bad PC UI 😪

My muscle memory with navigating storage etc needs to be re-learned.  Also, Some stuff like quests and enhancing windows are over-complicated without any good reason.

On a bright side, it looks refreshing and I like the addition of crystal sockets information. 

Edited by Rocketfuel77777

This new UI is driving me insane. The horse stall UI is utter trash, the enhancing UI is driving me nuts now that I have to scroll back over to the enhance window after applying the stones, repair UI is really weird though to be fair I never did like how they structured the Fairy's UI menu and it's basically another form of that, but I can deal with all that in hopes that those improve. What I can't get over and am about to rage quit this game over is the goods transfer system! WTFH were they thinking?! This whole five wagons to transfer items is by far the worst thing I've ever seen in any MMORPG. I mean if I have to quick transfer some yona's fragments from where I melted for them in calpheon to altinova, that's an entire wagon with all its other slots tied up! They really need to call for an emergency patch to roll back to the old UI and start over honestly with this time keeping in mind that this is FOR CONSOLE, NOT PC!

I also found out today, that they eliminated some transfer routes with the new UI. I have send for example a lot of items for my twinks from Altinova to Velia by Atlinova ship route. Now, no faster Altinova ship transfer is available anymore, only Wagon transfers available. Are all ships sunk or what happened with the ship routes?

Also on the second day playing with the new UI, I found it worse than before. I really hope they change it back to a console optimized UI.

• Like 1

Valencia now transports, and a trade wagon is there too. That's nice.

Seems like you can move more bulk over all cause its weight based.

Also there are times on how long till delivery too. I like knowing 

3 hours ago, Blaktorne said:

Atrocious. UI for PC gamers. Need to roll back and rethink it for console.Makes the game unconfortable.

it's funny cause PC bdo players said that they don't want this "console" UI and they got it months before us. 

It seems that PA missed expectations of both platforms. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rocketfuel77777 said:

it's funny cause PC bdo players said that they don't want this "console" UI and they got it months before us. 

It seems that PA missed expectations of both platforms. 

This is impressive. PA has created an UI that neither PC players nor Console players finds good and wants to have 🤣

PA should really think about hiring new UX/UI designers for Black Desert and optimize the UI. Since we all need the UI for most of our playing time and have a bad user experience at the moment, the changes will have a very high priority for me and adjustements must be done in short term.

Well for me and whole of my guildmates new  UI is much better than older. What u need is use to a bit.

Edited by Rapucapu

3 hours ago, Rapucapu said:

Well for me and whole of my guildmates new  UI is much better than older. What u need is use to a bit.

I think the same.

Prefered the previous interface over the pc version. For the most part this new interface is less efficient, more clicks to do the same thing.

Edited by Shadi

If they made it so left and right D pad switched between different windows like inventory to npc window and down dpad went straight to pay options instead of scrolling. I can definitely see where they made improvements and glad that they put work into it.

The new UI system is absolutely horrific! 

I don't understand why a console game has to be made to look like total garbage. Sure there are certain improvements like weight capacity being on the bottom versus on the side, and toggling outfits, however when accessing quests the system looks like a total cluster****. The warehouse inventory just sucks as it looks way too crowded on the inventory side.

It was better before but just plain makes me want to quit. I migrated to this game from another only to find that this game will probably be tossed to such a user unfriendly UI. It's been said before, if it's not broken, don't attempt to fix what worked before

I have to agree with the OP that the new UI is a mess.  A lot of the UI seems to have been reworked to fit a computer system where you are using a mouse.  Which is wholly inappropriate for the console.  I suspect Pearl Abyss was trying to create a UI that is unified between the PC and console world, but what they have succeeded in doing instead is creating a UI that will be equally reviled by both groups!

What puzzles me the most is why Pearl Abyss is putting resources and effort into this at this point in time, when so many other issues such as the terrible performances issues, stuttering and low frame rates, invisible walls, constantly resetting ring menus and other config, and so forth, are driving players away.  Seems like a very bad business decision.

A partial list of the Negatives:

• New UI is much clunkier to use and in many places harder to navigate.  More "mousing" around with the joystick, more button-presses.  The exact opposite direction of where they should have gone - to make it more streamlined and efficient.
  • The new way that quests are presented and accepted is atrocious.  So bad as to possibly drive new players to not even give the game a good chance before abandoning it.
  • A minor quibble: Moving the weight slider on the inventory panel from a bar on the side of the inventory panel to a little bar on the bottom is bad, because now the bar gets obscured by the popup tooltips from inventory items.
  • The manner in which the Attack Power, Awakened Attack Power, and Defense Points are now shown in the inventory panel  is less obvious and will be that much more confusing for new or casual players.
  • The trading minigame is clunkier than ever.
  • The amity minigame is much clunkier.  It wasn't great to begin with, yet worse now.
  • Enhancement dialog is gratuitously different.  Not necessarily worse than before (I admit I haven't used it yet), but does not seem better either.

Missed Opportunities:

• A number of the buttons in the inventory dialog panel still lack tooltips that give clear indication of their purpose (mainly the ones that revolve around showing and hiding parts of your costume & gear).
  • Inventory panel still does not have a way of showing exactly what your current stats are, including item bonuses, buffs, etc.  The "View Details" button would have been a good spot to add a means to see all this.
  • Moving items between storage, mounts, boats, and your own inventory is still clunky.

The Positives are few and far between, and generally minor:

• A change which was long overdue: the ability to easily see what quests and knowledge are available from NPCs based on Amity, and how much Amity is required.
  • The "View Details" on the Inventory panel adds easy viewing of slotted gems.

Be interesting to see what other items people might add to these lists.

It's awful - added clicks feel unjustified as zero performance improvements seen by literally anyone. Also lost count now of dialogue obscured by new UI so even if quests and lore is your thing the game shafts you. Massive step backwards and hope it gets reverted ASAP. It doesn't even LOOK better never mind functions worse overall for a controller it was never designed for.

3 hours ago, Bakedcanuck said:

It was designed for all platforms as said in streams it's a bit clunky and takes some getting used to it like it better

No it wasn't - it was said in streams it's the PC one but we're getting it because they believe it can help to a very small degree with performance issues and they acknowledged some legit issues people had with it vs old console designed from ground up one on said streams. What streams did you watch?